Happy New Year!
After the disruptive year we’ve just experienced, 2021 will be a major year of transition – full of new possibilities and opportunities! In order to enter the New Year with fresh energy, resilience and hope, we must first clear our heads, reflect on lessons learned and reset our thinking.
Join me in this powerful CLEARing process so you can leave this year of disruption and loss behind and enter 2021 with a clean slate.
C – Complete What Needs to be Completed
In order to move into the New Year with new energy, you must first resolve last year’s unfinished business.
Are you still struggling to come to terms with a disruption or loss suffered this past year? Whether it’s a loss that hasn’t been mourned, a good bye that was never said or a hurt that was never processed, it’s important to acknowledge that something has ended in order to bring closure to a situation.
It’s also time to release those hurts, injustices and disappointments that you’ve been dragging around. If there’s a lesson to be learned from an experience, keep the lesson and discard the experience. If there’s a relationship that needs healing, the time to reach out is now. After all the tragic loss of life this year, life is too short to cling to grudges, grievances or negativity.
POWER TOOL – Complete the Incompletes
- Make a list of everything that’s incomplete in all areas of your life.
- Identify what’s needed to bring closure to each item. Is it a phone call or a conversation or creating an action plan? Are there items that you can declare “complete” without taking further action?
- Schedule time to complete each item. Many can be resolved in single day!!
- As you complete each item and check it off – celebrate! You’ve just freed up more energy to create a new future in 2021!
L – Learn the Lessons
Sometimes it takes the upheaval of a storm to shake us loose from our routines and teach us what’s really important. Now is the time to reflect on the lessons learned this last year:
- For each experience – whether it was a triumph or setback, reflect on the role you played in it, write down the lessons learned and how you can apply them going forward.
- If you experienced a setback, ask what opportunity might be hidden in that setback?
- What new strengths and talents have you discovered?
- Has this year altered what you consider important in your life?
- Has your vision for your life and/or career changed?
- How will these insights impact the way you live and work in 2021?
E – Embrace Your Victories!
All too often, we focus on our shortcomings and disappointments and overlook our accomplishments. Take this opportunity to list everything you accomplished this last year in every area of your life – no matter how small.
Many of you juggled a career or business with homeschooling your kids or found creative ways to care for vulnerable family members. Others crafted innovative solutions to get the job done at work or became more involved in helping others in their communities.
Congratulate yourself for your ingenuity, compassion and resilience and allow yourself to savor each victory!
A – Appreciate Your Blessings
Have the storms of this year given you a new appreciation for your family, friends, health, home and life’s work? Maybe you’ve discovered some gifts, talents or strengths that you never realized you possessed. Reflect on everything that you’re grateful for and offer a prayer of gratitude as you list all the good and wonderful things in your life. As you focus on what’s good about your life, you’ll attract more of it.
R – Refresh & Reset
Now that you’ve decluttered, reflected on lessons learned, celebrated your victories and given thanks for what’s good in your life, it’s time to reset your thinking.
- Reset Your Self Image – Like many of you, I’m physically and emotionally exhausted from the stress and disruption of the last year. However, I don’t want that exhausted person to drag herself into 2021, so I will choose to visualize myself stepping into 2021 – wiser, stronger, more resilient and ready to bring my creative energy to adapt to the new normal that will emerge in 2021. How will you reset your self-image?
- Reset Your Self Talk – What we constantly tell ourselves impacts how we see ourselves, which in turn shapes our behavior. What have you been telling yourself this past year? It might be time for a new mantra!
Here are some of my favorite affirmations:
I am powerful and I am loving. I am powerful and I am loved. I am powerful and I love it. Susan Jeffers.
Everything is working out for my highest good. Out of this situation only good will comes. I am safe. Louise Hay
The LORD is my light and my salvation whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27: 1-3
CLEARing is the best New Year’s gift you can give yourself because it renews your energy, boosts your confidence and prepares you to create a new vision for your life in 2021.